With less than 3 months until the NSW Selective High School Placement Test on Thursday 10 March 2016 (but make sure you check the official source to attend your exam at the correct date and time) here are some tips I’ve put together to help those preparing:
1) Know what the test contains. Four papers – Reading Test, General Ability Test (includes in one entrance exam numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning and abstract reasoning), Maths Test and Written Expression Test.
2) Know how long you need to spend per question. Divide the time in seconds by the number of questions. Then you know how many seconds to spend per question.
3) Start practicing with the free available sample test papers for NSW selective high school entrance exam or test. Best thing you’ll do, find it here http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/learning/k-6assessments/shsplacement/ss_sampletest.php
4) Strategy - As you progress through the practice questions, you’ll see that they have certain types of repeating questions. Categorise them into types and create strategies to solve them more quickly. Strategies are like short cuts to deal with things. Put these strategies down in paper and use them.
5) Start a reading program to help with discussion or argumentative writing using the editorial section of the newspaper or go through The Sydney Morning Herald Comment’s Section http://www.smh.com.au/comment or The Age’s comment section http://www.theage.com.au/comment. Record and find definitions for words that you don’t know. Do it weekly.
6) Now create a reading program to help with your creative writing. If you have the time, read Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie and apparently the 12 new Harry Potter books that may be coming out for Christmas this year. If you’re not really into reading but like movies, perhaps read some books that got turned into movies like Twilight and The Hunger Games.
7) Polish up on mathematical concepts. The ACER style exams really go hard on this. They really test your understanding of linkages between mathematical concepts as opposed to completing complex calculations. Plus, you’ll need to know how to translate worded questions into their correct formula and then solve.
8) Know your multiplication times tables and how multiplication times tables are calculated and how they relate to other operations e.g. 4 x 3 means 4 + 4 + 4. 4 x 3 = 12, and 12 / 3 = 4 and 12 / 4 = 3. It’s all connected beautifully. It’s not about memorizing the whole timetables up to 12, but rather memorizing some of it and then being able to work it out without a times table sheet in front of you.
9) Watch some videos – Go to www.youtube.com/studyforexams (disclosure: that’s my youtube channel), on this channel, I work through some numerical reasoning questions and explain the reasoning being some difficult questions.
10) Need for speed. The entrance exam for the reading test will have different passages, some of them long. Remember, you’re not trying to learn what the passage is saying; you simply want to answer the question. So I usually, read the question first, locate the correct area in the passage, where necessary, read 1-2 sentences/1 paragraph before and after and then decide on my answer. There are certain specific questions that will require you to read the whole passage – can you guess which ones they are? Put your answers in the comments section below and when we read 10 comments, I’ll provide the answer J
If all this seems too hard, you could just do our online courses which has all of this in one simple to access place. Get it here https://www.examsuccess.com.au/courses
Please send me these weekly I have a selective exam coming up and I dont know how to study for it
Just keep on practicing ur head off untl the selective exam, make sure to time yourself too so u could do questions faster, and also read lots of ur books that you've got at home.
Would love to see more tips
Hi Shikha, will probably put out more more tips in the next few weeks or so about little short cuts students can do to help them best use their time. Will be sending it out in the next newsletter :-)
I have the selective test coming up soon and there is so much pressure. I literally feel like I'm not improving whatsoever. I was great at English and terrible at math but now I'm bad at both! What do I do! It's in 2.5 months!
Hey Cdance, I know you might feel a lot of pressure and that's normal - students do feel stressed coming up to it. The most important thing is to focus on the task at hand and try your best on the day. While doing well in the test will help you secure a place in a selective school, remember that schooling is only one part of life and the school you go to does not determine what you can achieve for the rest of your life. That's up to you. For example, a girl I used to know is now working in the US at Google (she didn't go to a selective school, nor did she get the high scores needed to get into a prestigious university). Thanks for taking the time to comment and I wish you all the best in your upcoming test Cdance!
My parents are pressuring me all the time! I'm horrible at English and the selective test is comin up in 2 months. I put in North Sydney boys and I don't think I can make it. HELP ME!!!
Hey Lizzie! Yep - I'd agree with all of that! :-) Especially reading heaps of books.
Hey Terrick, sorry to hear about all the pressure your getting. I know this is easier said than done, but try to focus your energy on enhancing what you're good at and also trying to improve your writing to the best you can with the few weeks that you have left. It's just if you start to get really stressed out, it's not good for your health and it's important to be in good health. If it helps, students have put up their model essays and have practiced their writing on our free writing prompts at esenglish.herokuapp.com. Perhaps try it and see how you go. Otherwise, hope all gets better and I wish you all the best for your exam!
Thanks Vi for the website! I'll practise hard!
Vi - the NSW exam is on Thursday 10th of March 2016. The 12th is a Saturday.
Thanks for pointing out the typo Fi! Have updated this now.
hi, my test is coming up and i am really wanting to read the shortcuts you are going to put up. have you put it up yet???
Hi Emily, haven't had the chance yet - it is a busy time atm with tutoring because the exam is coming up soon, but if I get a chance from now to then I'll try to do it.
I have one too on march 10th I am working my head off literally
I have the selective coming up next Thursday. I am really nervous and I kind of feel not ready. I still keep worrying about if it is going to be hard or not. what should I do?
I have the test in 7 days,I really need help to pass.I am not sure what it is like, but I still wanna make my parents proud they have spend so much money on me just for the exam. Please Help You Are My Only Chance 😭
P.S I live in NSW so technically 7 days
Hiiiiiiii' I also need Help We have the same name!
My test is this Thursday and I am freaking out. I went to tutoring classes but I'm not improving to much. Maths is my achilles heel. ARGGGGHHHH!
My test is this Thursday and I am freaking out. I went to tutoring classes but I'm not improving to much. Maths is my achilles heel and I don't think I will pass. mum wants me to go to Hornsby girls High and she expects so much from me. ARGGGGHHHH!
Sorry, just left out something. Ignore this post and read the next one.
Thanks for all the help!!!
MY TEST IS TOMORROW !!!!!!!!!!!!😱😖😫😭😓😬😁😰
Hey ling same here by the way what school do you go to?
OMG same! I'm freaking out! I have went tutoring for 1.5 years just for the selective test alone! I've done more before that tho. Good luck!
Ahhhhh, Test tomorrow reading everything I can to help me pass, One out of 3 children get in I heard... ⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠
PS if you live in NSW near hurstville going to st George girls.... See you at the test 📝📚📉📐🔊 ⏰⏰⏰⏰⏰⏰⏰⏰⏰⏰⏰⏰⏰
The selective is tomorrow and I am studying so much right now. I've managed my time out for Maths and GA but not English or Writing. I'm so going to fail!!
I'm so scared, test is tomorrow!!!!The test is tomorrow and I'm soo not ready!
OMG MY TEST IS TODAY
This is incorrect. Its 10 march 8:07 rn FREAKIN OUUUT
I just did my test and it wasn't as hard as I thought. Thanks for all the help!!! Love Kyanna
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE EMMA GUMMY
I go to Tangara School for Girls, it's a private school.
Tangara School For Girls. It's in Cherrybrook.
I I agree, but I guessed the last few questions in maths and GA.
Hi Vi, my selective is in about 6 months. I'm terrible in g.a & maths.... Do you have any good tips??
did you ever go to a selective school??
Hi guys I do tutoring every week but is there any extras I can do during the week to keep me going.... :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Hi there! Yes, I did. It was great mainly because of the friendships I made that I still have now. :-)
Yess... I made in Sydney Boys - I got 239.94
oh yaaa man i got 289.57 yess i made it to james rouse agricultural school booooooooooooooo yaaaaaaaaaa
I have it in 5 months time I'm freaking out now Help me
I made it to james rouse I'm on top of the world thanks everything
I need help for the selective schools exam I have it on the 9th of March this year and I am scared I won't pass can you please help me. Thank you.
My Selective Test is coming in one month and I haven't even mastered the basics of GA and Reading!!!!!!!!!!
HI MY TEST IS IN MARCH 9TH I AM SO SCARED>>>>>> I WANT TO MAKE IT INTO HURLSTONE BUT I GET THE SIMPLEST QUESTIONS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO NERVOUSSSSSSSSS :(:(:(:(:(:(
Selective test is coming in 1 week and ARGHHH THE PRESSURE!!! I'm really bad at maths and GA. I didn't take tutoring too. I just hope I make it in St George Girls with my writing and reading! Wish everyone else all the luck for next week :)
I have my selective exam in 2 days plz help meeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes write down all the formulas,look over your work and don't make silly mistakes For GA study vocab and have a keen eye for patterns Good Luck
That's impossible the highest mark ever 255
I have mine in 9 minutes !!!!!!!!!
TEST IS TOMMOROW, YO INNIT BRUH!
Wait you guys are confusing me soooo much. Isn't the Hurlstone selective exam on August? I'm doing the test for year 11 btw. Does anybody know the date. How do I tryout for more than one selective school, Is it all at the same time for each school, or can I decide which day or which time I can sit the exam. Thank you so much.
OMG IM FREAKIN OUT MY TEST IS IN A FEW DAYS SO IM STUDYING HARD PS THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In 6 months I am entering the selective test, but I don't know how to 'Study"... Because when I "do" I get distracted and do stuff that does not relate to it.
Hi, I’m a nearly year 6 student in Perth studying for the selective school test as it’s in 13 weeks. Academically, I get around 4 A’s and the rest B’s, i’ve been doing some practice tests online and have been getting 18 out of 20 for general ability, reading and write pretty good narratives and persuasives but for maths I get as an average, 12 out of 20 which was unexpected because I always get A’s on it. Would all of the things I’m doing be good enough to get into Perth Modern?
Hey, I’m in yr 6 now! And the test is in 2 months . . .
Help!!! The test is legit in one week! I hope to get into James Ruse or Hornsby Girls, my dad is going to kill me if I get into Gosford! How can I improve my reading? My marks are very high for the others but I always flunk English!
OMG! The test is in three days! I'm not actually nervous surprisingly, I really want to become a doctor when I'm older but my mum says if I don't get into James Ruse then I'll not have a big chance of becoming one. Are there any tips on improving my English marks? Especially Reading.
LOL! Peeps try to get into selective, just saying the test is really easy like as long as you do good in the GA you'll get in alright. Maths is super easy, English is the same as Pre Uni and writing was easy but you guys might get a different mark.
**** ohh my gash the test Is after tommprow 2018 in the house brahh and undies
I’m so scared Test is tomorrow help meeeeee......is the test really hard??
I have one tomorrow
ya but mines tomorrow
lol me too. im screwed
Good job!! Hope you’re liking high school
That’s nice ,but the highest ever is 255 so it is hard to believe you...
That’s fine Ella. Even I do that sometimes but practice is the key, so just practice every day an I bet you’ll get into Hurlstone with flying colors.. Don’t give up. 🙂
Just practice your struggles and don’t get distracted.... I bet you’ll pass with flying colours... I am doing the test tomorrow too, but because I’ve practiced and studied, I am not stressed....
Hi, Just try and concentrate on reading and understand the text.... If you need, look at the questions first and then read the text so you can find the answers in one go... Good Luck!
Don’t worry, and I have left some feedback on your other comment
Guys, Don’t worry!! It is okay, we will do great.. Don’t stress!!
I was just searching on tips for practicing and preparing for Selective, then I find this! I definitely think this will help me because I have about a couple of months less than a year to practice (I'm in year 5). I am really nervous to! Most of my year 6 friends go in and they said it was really hard. I hope this will help. THANKS!
Hey guys! I am so far acing it, at my tuition but do any of you live in South Aus, or go to Pre-Uni New College? Please do reply, Fellow Scholarship worker, Whizzo
I NEED HELP. TRYING TO GET INTO MAC FIELDS OR HURLSTORNE . Does anyone know if it's ok to not finish of the writing exam and how get faster?
Hey, can you pls help me with the English comprehensions or writings. I am really bad at these. I need tips and tricks for this. Can u reply quick. Cause my test is in 2 weeks.
Hey, can u pls help me with my reading comprehension and writing. I do not get good in any and the selective test is in 2 weeks. Pls reply. I need some good tips and tricks!
Pls help! I need the tips and tricks ASAP! I might sound really harsh, but I am just so stressed out. I do not know how to study. How do you study. I don’t get it. The test is in 2 weeks. PLS HELP! I NEED HELP!
Pls can u help me. I need tips and tricks for g.a., English and writing. I need help. I am bad at all of those subjects pls help. My test is in 2 weeks and I am getting really bad in mock tests. PLS HELP! INEED TIPS AND TRICKS!
Hey Everyone! This website looks quite old but I just want to say, it's nice to put tips here, as it's helping a lot of people. Thank you for the tips. They helped me a lot. Tomorrow's my exam, you know. I just hope everything will be fine.
You know you can also look at other webs or click into the links on this web if you didn't.My selective test is also tomorrow. It said on the permission note (you need to hand one in otherwise they wont allow you in) that there is no need to practise on the day before the exam just to let you know. But if you have like a month left I recommend you to study if you haven't studied yet. It's helpful if others read this too! I'm nervous myself, but that won't do you any good in the test. I'm pretty sure you're not the only on nervous, so much others (as you can see on this website) are nervous and so much other people sitting the test are too. :)
My test is (as some people already saw) is tomorrow. I have went to tutoring to, I'm lucky I'm above average. But not enough for Fort St, sad life.